St Peter und Paul kirche, Oberammergau, Bavaria, Germany

The parish church of St. Peter and Paul is a significant South German Baroque church

General info

History of the parish church

The parish church of St. Peter and Paul, a significant South German Baroque church, is centrally located on the Frühmessergasse in Oberammergau.

It is believed that as early as the 9th century a predecessor church was built in the pre-Romanesque style, which probably already replaced an even older wooden church. Finally, in the High Middle Ages, the church was replaced by a Gothic Revival. After it became dilapidated, the baroque building was built in the 18th century.

This building faces east and has a narrower choir, which terminates in the west with a tower. The church was built between 1735 and 1749. Josef Schmuzer (1683-1752) from Wessobrunn was the architect and site manager and together with his son Franz-Xaver he stuccoed the church.

Altars, frescoes, organ

There is one main altar and four side altars. The main high altar shows the Mother of God as a heavenly helper to those who ask for their intercession. The altar is richly decorated with numerous stucco work and sculptures.

The two side altars depict the themes of Trinity and Christ on the cross. The altars in the side extensions of the church are dedicated to the Holy Family and St. Anthony of Padua.

In the church you can see expressive late Baroque art with a main reference to the Passion of Christ and the namesake Peter and Paul. The impressive frescoes in the sanctuary show how the rosary is presented to St. Dominic, on one wall you can see Mary receiving the angel’s salute.

The central dome shows  Apostle Peter and Paul leaving the dungeon, execution and inclusion in the throng of saints grouping around Christ and his cross. The ceiling fresco in the nave from 1741 is the first work by Matthäus Günther in Oberammergau.

All ceiling and wall frescoes in the presbytery, as well as the pictures on the high altar and on the Anna altar, come from Matthäus Günter (1705-1788), an excellent master. Not to be forgotten are the frescoes by Franz Seraph Zwinck (1753-1808) on the balustrade parapets and on the gallery ceiling.

The organ of the parish church of St. Peter and Paul was built in 1893. The church choir rehearses every Thursday at 8pm. Visitors are welcome.

External links

Official website (German)

Wikipedia (German)


Images taken: 2018-06-03

Map, address, and coordinates




St. Peter und Paul, Frühmessergasse, Oberammergau, Germany

Country (Landscape):

Germany | Deutschland, Bavaria | Bayern

Latitude DD:


Date visited:


Longitude DD: